Monday, March 14, 2011

Union Loses To Colgate In A Heartbreaker

Ok readers, I've been thinking about what to say here for a long time now. But, there really isn't much to say. Last night's loss and the weekend in general still hurts so much. I had such a hard time leaving the rink last night since this is not the way I wanted my last moment at Messa Rink to feel like. Everyone just feels so awful. After the game I talked to Mike Schreiber via Facebook for a long time. It was about 3am in Germany and he couldn't go to sleep. Alumni messaged me via Twitter... player's girlfriends were upset... students were shocked and angry... the list goes on. Just seeing the guys so upset in the post-game press conference was heartbreaking. Walking back to my house by myself after the loss was one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced at Union. On the way back I ran into Josh Jooris and we talked for a few minutes just trying to talk it out. I think everyone on campus is shocked and upset. I don't think anybody thought Union would lose two games at home in one weekend after only losing once at Messa all season.

Our boys played well for the first five periods of the weekend, and then all of a sudden everything was turned upside down. There really isn't much else to say besides that Colgate worked their butts off and deserved the series. Their big players (Mihalik, Day, Brisebois, etc.) really stepped up when they needed to and they should be commended. They are truly playing their best hockey right now, and are proving why many picked them as a Top 5 team in the league this year (I did). It must be pretty exciting to be a Raider fan now.

As a Union fan you just have to tip your hat to the Raiders and that's that. You can't blame the refs. Even though I didn't agree with a number of calls against the Union (and some of the non-calls against Colgate), that's hockey. The Raiders were opportunistic on the power-play, so you have to give them credit. You also can't blame any specific players. Yeah, the Welsh-Carr-Jooris trio was shut down for the most part and maybe Keith Kinkaid wasn't "lights out," but studs the Prezie-Zaj-Hatch line had a good weekend as well as Wayne Simpson. Even Andrew Buote produced well this weekend, scoring two goals to give him three on the season.

But, we have to look at the positives. In any other year in Union Hockey history the season would be over. But, we've accomplished so much this season that we will be playing in the national tournament (I guess it isn't officially confirmed, but the experts seem to believe that we're a lock). There is still more hockey to play, and we can avenge this weekend by making a run in the tourney (Yale did the same thing last season and there are other examples of this). I think we all need to refocus and begin to start thinking about the national tournament. Hopefully for the players, finals week will put their focus on something else for a few days and then they can start moving in a new direction.

I believe this team isn't done yet. This is a team of destiny, and as a student and fan I will support them to the end. Good luck on your finals guys, and I'll see you in the regionals.

For more on Game 3 check out:
USCHO
Ken Schott's Blog
Times Union - Mark McGuire
Times Union - Pete Iorizzo
Union Athletics
ECAC Hockey (Video Highlights)
Ken Schott's College Hockey Slap Schotts

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dan. I think you really captured how everyone's feeling. We gotta stick together through this and realize that nothing's over. Go U

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regardless of this past weekend, this has been and still will be an amazing season. We should all be very proud of these truly talented STUDENT athletes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what bothers me is that a union player was hit from behind right before the scored. u can see it on the video on ecac website.the reff were bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a player from the first division 1 recruiting class I was devestated hearing that we lost but the season isnt over yet!! Hey, we one our first ECAC crown!!! Research how many basketball teams lost in their conference finals before going on to winning the NCAA championship or even making the final four. I bet there are quite a few. Keeps your heads up boys and know that this alum is extremely proud to be a Union Skating Dutchmen!!! You guys put our little school on the map this year and for the first time when people ask where I played, many actually had now heard of Union!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One=won. Hey I was an econ major, lol

    ReplyDelete