Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Mayor's Cup fallout roundup (with 3 videos)

by Ryan Fay

Fallout from the postgame incidents following Union's 2-1 loss to RPI in Saturday's non-league Mayor's Cup continued Monday.

Bennett not disciplined further

ECAC Hockey said it supported Union's internal two-game suspension of head coach Rick Bennett and elected not to add to it.

The school suspended Bennett without pay on Sunday for his actions following Saturday's game.

With both teams involved in several postgame skirmishes, Bennett tried to go after RPI head coach Seth Appert for reasons that Bennett never fully explained. He had to be restrained by a referee.

“I don’t feel good about it,” Bennett said. "It was one bad choice. I will live with it, I’ll move on, I’ll learn from this, and I’ll be a better coach from it.”

He stressed the incident didn't paint an accurate picture of who he is.

"I wish I could have reached out to every person I have been involved with here at Union College or my past to explain to them that this is not me, it is not who I am," Bennett said. "I don't want to be known as a tough guy. I want to be known as a team guy."

The incident was picked up by ESPN, USA Today, Deadspin.com among other national outlets.

"I don't think it's great (the attention)," Bennett said. "I really feel for our school, our president, our athletic director and everyone involved in our program ... and more importantly, the players. They didn't deserve that from me. As much as I respect that support — they've been great through this — but I have to be better."

Bennett will not be with the fourth-ranked Dutchmen when they travel to St. Lawrence on Friday and 15th-ranked Clarkson on Saturday. Assistant coach Joe Dumais will serve as acting head coach.

Bennett can continue to run practices.

ECAC Hockey suspends Bodie for an additional game

Union captain Mat Bodie will now miss the Dutchmen's next two games.

The defenseman was already suspended for Friday's game because he received a game disqualification for facemasking on Saturday.

ECAC Hockey added an additional game to Bodie's suspension for his end of the game cross-check on RPI's Brock Higgs, which ignited the postgame madness. The additional discipline means Bodie will also sit out Saturday's contest.

"It put the team in a bad spot, missing two games here," Bodie said. "I apologize to my teammates. I apologize to the school for bringing this whole situation on."

Bodie wasn't surprised by the discipline he received.

"I think I kind of expected it," he said. "Taking his facemask off, that's an automatic one [game suspension.] Then I guess for the cross-check there, so there's your two."

Bodie ranks second on the Dutchmen with 23 points, including a team-high 20 assists.

ECAC Hockey gives Ciampini one-game suspension

Union forward Daniel Ciampini was suspended for Friday's tilt by ECAC Hockey.

Ciampini, second on the Dutchmen with nine goals, did not receive a penalty during the postgame bedlam. He wasn't sure what spurred his suspension, but video shows him pulling off the helmet of RPI forward Jake Wood.

“I just found out about a half-hour ago,” Ciampini said. “I haven’t really gotten the full details. Me and coach Bennett are going to talk about it. We’ll go from there. The league has to do what it has to do. It’s upsetting to me, but rules are rules.

“For whatever it is, I’m sure it’s warranted. They took a couple of days. I’m sure they have a valid reason for the suspension.”

In addition to Bodie and Ciampini, Union will also be without forward Eli Lichtenwald on Friday. The freshman was given a game disqualification for fighting on Saturday.

RPI discipline

RPI will be without four players when it travels to Clarkson on Friday.

Defenseman Luke Curadi and forward Zalewski will sit out because they were assessed game disqualifications for fighting on Saturday.

On Monday, ECAC Hockey suspended defenseman Bo Dolan and forward Ryan Haggerty for their actions on Saturday. Haggerty is RPI's leading scorer with 30 points, including a team-best 19 goals.

RPI head coach Seth Appert was not disciplined.

Union press conference videos

Union held press conferences on Monday to address the aftermath of Saturday's Mayor's Cup. Each press conference can be viewed below.

Head coach Rick Bennett



Defenseman Mat Bodie 



Forwards Daniel Ciampini (left) and Cole Ikkala (right) 


No comments:

Post a Comment