Friday, January 23, 2015

Ellis commits to Union for 2016-17

by Ryan Fay

Tabor Academy defenseman Abby Ellis committed to the Union women's hockey team for the 2016-17 season earlier this week.

The Dutchwomen beat out the likes of Brown, Northeastern and Division III Middlebury for the future services of the 1997-born blueliner.

Ellis
"I chose Union because the moment I stepped on campus I felt at home," said Ellis. "The coaches, players, and faculty are all so welcoming and inviting. Academically, I am most excited about the opportunities that Union will give me in regards to a career, and the amount that the school will prepare me for the real world. The level of play on the ice is a perfect fit for me as well. I know that I will thrive at Union."

Ellis, a native of Warwick, Rhode Island, has three goals and five assists in 13 games with Tabor this season. She spent last season with the Warwick Co-Op team and helped the squad become the first public school girls hockey team to win the Division I state title in Rhode Island history.

Ellis was Warwick's third-leading scorer with nine goals and 16 assists in 16 games. She scored the game-winner in the decisive game of the best-of-three state championship series against La Salle, and later earned first-team All-State honors.

"Abby is a strong skater who makes great decisions with and without the puck," said Tabor head coach Eric Long. "She is sound in the defensive zone, breaks the puck out well, and does a nice job on the power play. I think she is a player who can come in and contribute immediately."

Though Ellis is still over a season away from joining Union, Long says her arrival will be worth the wait.

"Based on my experience placing players at the Division I level, I would project Abby to be a top four defenseman with the potential to be a top pairing defenseman in her junior and senior seasons," Long said. "As her game continues to develop, she has the potential to play in all situations at that level because of her skating and decision making."

Ellis had been in contact with the Dutchwomen since last summer.

"Union has been interested in me for about six months now," Ellis said. "They contacted me after National Camp in Minnesota [last] summer. I took a tour in September and met with the coaches. In early January, I did an overnight and stayed with a couple of the girls. I stayed and watched two games as well. As I left campus after the overnight, I knew Union was the perfect fit for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment