Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Coach Leaman Named AHCA Men's Division I Coach of the Year

It was announced today that Union coach Nate Leaman has been named the recipient of the Spencer Penrose Award, which is given to the Division I Coach of the Year by the American Hockey Coaches Association.

The last ECAC coach to receive this award was St. Lawrence's Joe Marsh in 2000.

Leaman accomplished so much this season including a program record 26 wins, 17 conference wins, and of course Union's first Cleary Cup and NCAA Tournament berth. What he has done over the past eight seasons is absolutely amazing. He took a dormant program and made them into a national contender.

For more on Leaman and the award go to Union Athletics.com.

This award just adds another thing to his resume that makes him even more enticing to bigger programs. There have been mixed reports on whether Leaman is looking a certain jobs, especially the Providence job. A few days ago, Ken Schott reported that Leaman denied being a candidate for the Friars head coaching job, but today College Hockey News reported that he was in Providence and was a finalist for the job.

Despite these conflicting reports, I really believe that Leaman will be staying at Union. From the small rumors that I've heard, it sounds like he plans on staying. Also, if Coach Leaman says he's not interested in the Providence job, then I believe he's not interested. He is a class act and I truly believe he would never lie about something like that. A part of me thinks that CHN reported wrong, and Coach Bennett is actually a finalist for the job. But, you have to take their report in to account.

Anyways, congrats Coach on the award and on a great season!

2 comments:

  1. I think I speak for many fans of Union hockey when I say that I would be, maybe not devastated, but VERY upset if Coach Leaman were to leave Union. He has made so many contributions and really led the program to a new level. I think it's fantastic, all the publicity and recognition that Coach is getting, but I truly hope he stays at Union.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He needs to explore his options because he may never have this much leverage again. I hope he stays but if he does not I will wish him well and thank him for leaving Union in a much better place than when he came on board.

    ReplyDelete