Monday, April 4, 2011

College Hockey Video of the Week (4/4/11): Last Frozen Four in St. Paul

This Thursday, the Frozen Four returns to St. Paul, Minnesota for the first time since 2002. The 2002 Frozen Four was my third ever Frozen Four, and was the first one where I had to fly to go see the games. I remember having such a great time at this site because I liked the rink, we went to Mickey's Dining Car (like in the Mighty Ducks), had a great time at the Frozen Fest, and just had an overall great time.

But, probably the most memorable part of that tournament was the University of Minnesota's come-from-behind overtime win over Maine in the championship game in front of a crowd that was pretty much 99% Gopher fans. The crowd was electric and when Grant Potulny (who I think was the only player on the Minnesota roster not from Minnesota) scored the game-winning goal the place went absolutely insane. I still remember sitting next to (or behind) a group of older Maine fans and how disappointed they were.

So, here is a video with all the goals from that game with music (I thought it was a nice touch). Hopefully this year's Frozen Four can reciprocate the same feelings I had the last time I was there. I'm really not going to cheer for any team because I really don't like rooting for teams besides my own, but I hope the UMD Bulldogs do well.

Anyways, am I going to be the only Union fan at the Frozen Four this year? I will definitely be wearing my Union jersey with pride, and I'm sure plenty of people will want to take pictures of me with the jersey to see if they can find every college hockey jersey at the tournament (since that's what Frozen Four people tend to do). I'll keep you all posted throughout the week in what I'm doing in St. Paul.

Have a good week Union fans, and enjoy my favorite day of the year: SEMIFINAL THURSDAY!

1 comment:

  1. anyone know Union's schedule for the upcoming season?

    ReplyDelete