Sunday, March 11, 2012

To Atlantic City

I know nothing has technically been won. I know that if they lose Friday in Atlantic City, this win will mean very little. Still, I can't help but be excited.

As I walked out of Messa last night, I couldn't help but remember the scene from just a season before. I remember the buzzer going off as Colgate scored the winning goal in overtime. I remember jumping up and down with the rest of the student section seconds earlier, still convinced Union would pull out the win. I remember, vividly, Chris Wagner waving at us, taunting us. I remember that feeling.

So, again, while they still have to win two games to get the Whitelaw trophy, I can't help but be excited.

Another thing that kind of hit me as I was leaving the rink, was how the players reacted. They celebrated and seemed happy with the victory, but they all seemed to remain focused.

Two and three years ago, when Union won their home playoff series, the players went nuts. They were jumping into the boards, diving on top of each other, screaming, and pumping their fists. There was an overwhelming sense of joy. There wasn't that feeling this year.

In a weird way, that is just another illustration of how far this program is coming. These players aren't excited by one series, they want to win it all.

You get the same sense from them when they talk about the Cleary Cup. They will gladly admit it was a great accomplishment, but they will instantly follow that up by saying it is just one of the three trophies they are looking to win.

The tempered celebration shows that the players have fully bought that. A quarterfinal win isn't enough for these guys. They want, and expect, to win the Whitelaw trophy next week. Ditto for the Frozen Four in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment