Thursday, January 10, 2013

Wilkins relieved after first college goal

by Ryan Fay

There weren't a lot of positives to getting swept by Lake Superior State last weekend.

That is unless you're Matt Wilkins.

The highly touted freshman forward from Kimberley, British Columbia scored his first collegiate goal in last Friday's 4-1 loss.

“It was definitely a weight off the shoulder,” Wilkins said. “It took a lot longer than I expected and wanted, but it's good to get it out of my mind.”

Wilkins (unionathletics.com)
Wilkins, who also has four assists this season, had reason to expect to score sooner. He entered Union fresh off two years in the Alberta Junior Hockey League where he scored 60 goals and piled up 176 points in just 120 games

“It was a big jump and more [of one] than I expected,” he said of the transition from junior hockey to Division I college hockey.

“The college game is a lot faster – that's probably the biggest thing I notice.”

Wilkins, who was also recruited by Lake Superior State and University of Alaska Anchorage, isn't spending a lot of time thinking about a second half statistical breakout.

“Right now I'm just trying to do whatever coach Bennett wants me to do," he said. "I'm playing with Daniel Carr and Max Novak and we're getting some offense going. Hopefully we can keep that up.”

Wilkins will have a chance to do that tomorrow night when the Dutchmen travel to Princeton for a 7:30 face off. NBC Sports Network will broadcast the game live.

No comments:

Post a Comment