Monday, September 8, 2014

Q&A with Dutchwomen recruit Arianna Kosakowski

By Ryan Fay

Winchendon School standout Arianna Kosakowski recently committed to the Union women's hockey team for the 2015-2016 season.

Though typically a defenseman, Kosakowski spent significant time at forward last season. The move paid off, as the 17-year-old ranked sixth in NEPSIHA Independent Girls Hockey with 14 goals and 23 assists in 37 games. It marked a 30 point increase from her sophomore season, when she registered seven assists in 26 games.

The Ashburnham, Massachusetts native talks about the adjustment, the recruiting process, and more.

Ryan Fay (RF): You were used extensively as a forward last season. How much of an adjustment was that?

Arianna Kosakowski (AK): I played forward last year for Winchendon since our forwards weren’t producing. I volunteered to try it out and I played wing while my best friend played center. We really connected and started scoring, which my team was lacking. It was a big adjustment at first. The hardest part was definitely learning how to breakout and forecheck. Once I played a couple of games it was an easy fit. Coming from defense, I would always make the pass instead of shoot myself, which was a difficult adjustment. My line finally fit a groove where I would get a lot of assists since I was used to passing from playing defense.

RF: How do you think that experience as a forward helped your development as a hockey player?

AK: My experience playing forward definitely helped me develop as a hockey player. I became much quicker and it also helped my passes when breaking out of the zone. From playing wing, I realized where the pass needs to be made to make it easier for the wings to break the puck out of the zone. Playing forward also encouraged me to skate the puck a little on defense before making the pass. When I skate the puck, the forwards skate ahead of me and it opens up the ice for an easier pass.

RF: Which position do you see yourself at long-term?

AK: I definitely see myself settling in at defense, but I am always open to play a little forward. I feel comfortable in my position as a defenseman and I really feel that I benefit the team most at making the right decisions on defense.

RF: In addition to hockey, you also play soccer and lacrosse at Winchendon. Did you ever entertain the idea of trying to do more than one sport at the collegiate level? Three Dutchwomen players are also on the golf team.

AK: I am not thinking about continuing soccer or lacrosse at Union. It was hard to give up lacrosse because I was being committed to go Division I for lacrosse and for hockey and I ultimately chose hockey. It will be hard to give up lacrosse, but I enjoy playing it more for fun and not seriously.

RF: What was the recruiting process like and what ultimately led you to Union?

AK: The recruiting process was very simple for me. I had already narrowed down my college list before entering my junior year. I chose schools first based on academics and then based on the hockey program. Since my goal is to become an orthopedic surgeon, I needed to find a school with stellar academics. Union was at the top of my list, so when they showed their interest I was very happy.

I really like [Dutchwomen] head coach [Claudia Asano] Barcomb and all of the girls that I met on the team. Union is a small college with not many students in each class. That is very similar to Winchendon, where the most students in my class are around eight. This similarity will make for an easy transition. I especially like the hockey program and I know that all the coaches are dedicated to the players and want them to improve while also having a successful season.

RF: What led you to want to persue a career in orthopedic surgery?

AK: Since I was little I have always enjoyed going to the doctor. When I was 12, I made the doctor a ten page long list of questions I had about the human body. Since then I have been always interested in how the human body functions and especially want to learn about bones. Orthopedic surgeons specialize in bones, which is what I'm interested in. Also, I've always wanted to be a doctor in sports medicine and orthopedic surgeons can specialize in sports medicine.

RF: What did the Dutchwomen staff like about you?

AK: The Union staff liked my decision-making and my ability to win odd man rushes. I believe that they see me filling in the role as a solid defenseman and relying on me not to be the cause of any goals.

RF:
What are a few things about your game that you are hoping to refine before arriving at Union?

AK: I am hoping to improve my overall game before coming to Union. I will work on strengthening my shot and making it more accurate. I will also work on my quickness and making faster decisions on the ice. I will keep training on the ice and off the ice so I can improve everything by next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment