Thursday, October 9, 2014

Hynes joins Dutchmen at long last

by Ryan Fay

Even though it won't go in the books as his official debut with the team, last Sunday's exhibition game against the University of Prince Edward Island was still everything Union freshman forward Tyler Hynes hoped for.

It was the Guilderland native's first appearance in a Dutchmen jersey, something that was nearly three years in the making. He was one of the six starters announced before the game and he received the biggest cheer of the six.

Hynes with the USHL's Omaha Lancers last season
“That was maybe the top moment of my hockey career,” Hynes said before Thursday's practice. “I had been committed for quite awhile. I've been waiting for that moment and always thought about what it would be like. It was finally there. You're thinking to yourself 'don't trip over your laces' or anything like that. But once I stopped and looked around, it was an awesome experience.”

Hynes committed to Union in what seems like a lifetime ago. The former Albany Academy star made his commitment all the way back in January 2012, and the original plan was to join the Dutchmen last fall following one season with the U.S Hockey League's Omaha Lancers.

But that season didn't go especially well as Hynes had just six goals and nine assists in 53 games with the Lancers in 2012-13. That prompted the 20-year-old to delay his Union career for a season and return to the Lancers for a second year.

“I didn't have the year that I wanted to,” Hynes said. “I didn't play the role I wanted to play or the role I thought I'd be playing [at Union]. You want to be as prepared as you can once you get to the school you're going to, and I didn't think I was.”

Hynes had eight goals and eight assists in 36 games with the Lancers last season, but he was traded to the Fargo Force in February. He caught fire and registered 12 goals and seven assists in 23 games the rest of the way.

“That was hard. I didn't see it coming,” Hynes said of the trade. “But looking back, it proved to be the best thing for me. It made me get out of my comfort zone. That's something I learned from that experience, and I think that it's carried over [to Union].”

Dutchmen head coach Rick Bennett thinks the second year of junior hockey was beneficial for Hynes.

“He gained a step in his footwork, which he needed for college, and just confidence wise,” Bennett said. “He was recruited to be a top forward here, and if he came last year, that wouldn't have been the case.”

Bennett has only had limited looks at Hynes so far at Union, but the early impressions have been positive.

“He's a tremendously hard-working guy that's going to provide a lot of energy for us,” said Bennett, who's entering his fourth season at the helm. “He's good down low, so I see him trying to create a lot of excitement in the offensive zone.”

Even though the second season of junior hockey cost Hynes a spot on last season's national championship team, he has no regrets.

“At the end of the day, you have to stick with the decision you made,” he said. “I wasn't ready to play college hockey. My goal is to have the best four years that I can here. I think I made the right decision even though [Union] won the national championship.”

Now that Hynes is finally at Union, he's reunited with sophomore defenseman Jeff Taylor, a longtime friend and a former teammate at Albany Academy. He gets to play at a rink he started coming to when he was 10 years old. And he gets to consistently play in front of family and friends for the first time in awhile.

“I was getting a little homesick towards the end of last year,” Hynes admitted. “It's tough being away from friends and family for two years. Another benefit of being here is that when I look up in the stands I get to see my parents up there rooting for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment