Friday, June 19, 2015

Dutchwomen add Shugart for 2016-17

by Ryan Fay

Haley Shugart, a forward for the Provincial Women's Hockey League's Toronto Junior Aeros, committed to the Union women's hockey team earlier this week.

The 17-year-old – who was debating between three Division I programs – is slated to arrive for the 2016-17 season.

Shugart
"Union has been on my radar since the beginning of my recruitment process and Coach [Claudia] Barcomb has demonstrated that she knows me as a player and what assets I could bring to the team come 2016," said Shugart. "This made me feel like I was going to a school that truly wanted me and what I had to offer to the program."

Union's strong academic reputation was another deciding factor for Shugart, an honor roll student at Branksome Hall. She also liked the school's small campus feel and its location.

"Union is a great school and its academics was one of the major pull factors in committing," said Shugart, a native of Toronto. "I found myself loving Union because of the small campus and the campus life I saw when touring. Having it be just over six hours away from home is enough distance to go to college but not too far so that I am not a stranger to home."

The 5-foot-7 Shugart appeared in all 38 games for the Junior Aeros last season and ranked fourth on the team in scoring with 16 goals and 18 assists. She was tied for the club lead in power-play goals with four, and was second in game-winning goals with four.

"Haley was an absolute pleasure to coach last year," said Meagan Boyle, who served as an associate coach with the Junior Aeros during the 2014-15 season. "I always knew she was bringing a second-to-none work ethic game in and game out and to each and every practice. Haley plays the game with a lot of emotion, and is able to use her emotion to become a complete beast in battle mode whether she's coming out of a corner or battling for position in front of the net. Haley is a great student of the game, loves to learn, and she's not afraid to ask questions. She has quite the heavy shot that isn't so kind to goalies.

"If Haley keeps up her development and progression, I have no doubt that she can become a leader for Union."

The Dutchwomen have previously picked up commitments for 2016-17 from Tabor Academy defenseman Abby Ellis and Breck School forward Cheyenne Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment